Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to thedownsideband
The Mandocello

Okay. The Mandocello.

It's tuned like a cello. (Really? No kidding?) Tuned in fifths, (CC,GG,DD,AA, no octaves.) it's a very hard instrument to play. You wanna have some fun? Tune your guitar's bottom E way down to a C, tune your A down to a G, leave the D how it is, and tune your G up to an A. Then, you can have a taste of a mandocello.
The mandocello is really hard to play, because the frets are very far apart. Try to play a simple reel on it. It's very hard. Listen to Mike Marshall and Chris Thile's Live Duets album, and listen to Bach's Dm Gigue that Mike plays the mandocello for. (He wrote that part by the way) It makes you really appreciate Mike's talent.
Mandocello's are very scarce as well. And VERY EXPENSIVE. I went to a bluegrass festival in
Missouri, and this man had a family of The Gibson mandos. (Mandolin, Mandola, Mandocello. All A-Style) Anywho, the mandola sold for $40,000, and the mandocello sold for a whopping $60,000! (Apparentally, there was some pretty loaded pickers there) Lesson learned: if you find one, make sure you just sold your house and are prepared to sleep outside for awhile.
Mandocello's do have very nice tones, though. They are very rich and full of character. Very distinctive. I have seen A styles, and F styles, Folk styles. In fact, go to google and type in >mandocello< and look at all of them. Mike Marshall shows up, too.

Mike Marshall's mandocello is a Mentoleone, by the way.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:19 PM
moderator! sreod live eraweb

Send a message via Yahoo to e-rock2
So if I go to Google, Mike Marshall will show up at my house? Seriously, when I saw Mike with Chris in Chicago he said that he had been playing the mandocello since 1979. It does have a very rich sound.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 AM

It is a hard instrument to play, but hella fun. I learned the Prelude from the 1st Suite of Bach's Six Suites For Solo Cello by using my guitar. I also learned the mandocello part for both Stranded In Kodiak and Gator Stut.

www.elvenwoodmandolins.com/

25/16
|3+2+2|3+2+2|2+2+3+2+2|
Pretty simple eh?

P.L.U.R. Forever!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to thedownsideband
I'm arranging Haydn right now, and I can do both viola and cello parts (tuned CGDA). I know the bass clef, and I know tenor and trebel clef. (I play viola) Have you heard the 4 Peices For Clocktower by Haydn? Really cool.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 PM

Fortunately, Mike Marshall and Darol Anger's 1983 album 'The Duo' was finally released on CD last fall. About half the tracks feature Mike on mandocello and there's a goofy pic of Mike with his on the cover.

The Duo at Amazon
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 AM

The Santa Cruz Guitar Company just started making mandocellos. Looks very much like a guitar. Retail price is just under $5000. It's on their website.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 AM

yeah the Santa Cruz mandocello that was at the Mandolin Symposium 2 years ago was freakin' awsome to play. Awsome quality and sound.

www.elvenwoodmandolins.com/

25/16
|3+2+2|3+2+2|2+2+3+2+2|
Pretty simple eh?

P.L.U.R. Forever!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: