Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > General Discussions > articles and reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2005, 04:42 PM

News about new Thile solo project (and interesting article)

I didn't notice this article posted yet, but if I missed something, my apologies for the cross-posting. The Thile interview is interesting, and I was especially glad to read that he has a new solo project in the preliminary stages:

"He's already in the planning stages for a new solo project. 'I've got it all worked out. I'm gonna use four other musicians that are all around my age and who I feel are just absolute monsters. It's gonna be mandolin, fiddle, guitar, banjo, and bass. These kids are just amazing. Compositionally, I've made some leaps in the last couple months that I hope to represent. The exciting thing about it is we're all too young, na´ve, and idealistic to realize we can't make Kind of Blue.'

The four 'monsters' are Greg Garrison (Leftover Salmon) on bass, Gabe Witcher (top session fiddle player in L.A. right now), banjoist Noam Pikelny (Leftover Salmon, John Cowan Band), and guitarist Chris Eldridge (son of the Seldom Scene's Ben Eldridge). They're high-powered company, but that's not something Thile shies away from."

See the full article here: http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?s...7300&pageNum=1
Old 10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
The Supreme Administrator [Ninja] in Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to matt the fiddler
thanks. this is a sticky
Old 10-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Cool, thanks for that pointer. I think it would be great for Chris to put this band on the road after the album comes out.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Man... I am such a huge fan of Chris. His insight amazes me. What really struck me in this article is his remark about how nobody really hears anything these days due to ipods and cell phones.

I live in a city and on the way to work today I noticed that almost 75% of the people I saw on the street had headphones on or were yacking into a cellphone.

I love my ipod as much as the next guy..... but I'm stuck by the truth of Chris's observation. Seems like so many people are closed into their own little world.

We gotta change that and come together as people.

You made Lisa cry.... and then I cried...... and then Maggie laughed. She's such a little trooper! Homer Simpson
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to PrincessNic
XM Radio has allowed music come along way in that area. I am hearing all kinds of new stuff. The Loft is especially good.

Thoughts of a Princess

My View on Life:

I thought it was gonna be like in the movies -- you know, inspirational music, a montage: me sharpening my pencil, me reading, writing, falling asleep on a big pile of books with my glasses all crooked, 'cause in my montage, I have glasses. But real life is slow, and it's starting to hurt my occipital lobe.--Buffy Summers
Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Russ
They think they have something strong enough like Kind Of Blue?? I'm interested to hear this.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to fwoompf
So for 2006 it looks like we'll have the Thile/Marshal tour album (Which personally, from watching their woodsongs show, I am REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO), and this new project.

Wooo!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to thedownsideband
I love that whole iPod thing, but gosh darn it, it's a little scary to be walking around New York City at night and not one person is hearing what's happening in the world they're walking in, observes Thile. I haven't totally come to terms with that yet. Everybody has their little earpieces in, and they might take them out to answer their cell phone (laughs).

That is so true. I'm like that. LIVE DUETS is my favorite album of all time, by the way.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to SheCantComplain
that is a really good article. but seriously, how could there exist a bad article about chris?

She came up and said hello
My name is Kate and I liked your show
=D
Old 07-21-2006, 10:02 PM

I find it absolutely amazing that his, and NC's, lyrics can reach so many people of so many different beliefs.

Thanks for the article.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not Mr. Lebowski . You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: