Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > Sean Watkins and Guitar Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to thedownsideband
The Day I Died>>> by Sean-Jon

Hey, have you guys heard Sean's new song he wrote with Jon Foreman? It's called THE DAY I DIE, and I think I have most of the lyrics figured out. It's more of a ballad.

(verse)
(D)>>>>>>>>>
I don't remember much about that night.
(D)>>>>>>>>>>
I'm pretty sure it rained the day I died.
(G-A-D) (G-A-D)
I thinked it rained... I think it rained.
(B) (A) (D)
I'm pretty sure it rained the day I died.

(verse)
You and I were always close as friends.
It's woman that make it the ease of a man.
A pretty face.. a pretty face.
A pretty face that what they do, will begin.

(verse)
Her eyes are the Winter when she goes...
holding secrets only winter knows.
Winter knows... Winter knows.
cause winter seems the holes in woman's clothes. (?)

(verse)
She came to me and made the laughter new.
We held eachother close the whole night through.
Love is blind... love is blind.
I didn't see her let you in the room.

(bridge)
(B) (A) (D) (G) (F# over G)
Someone always wins,
(G) (A)
and then they ride the boat.
(B) (A) (D) (G) (A# over G)
I see my defense,
(F#)
lay me,
(F) (E) (A)
and laaaa-laaa- laaaa(I can't figure it out!)

(verse)
A gumshot was the only word you said.
And all my defenses came out red.
----------------------------------------------------------
[OOOOOKAY... I must stop. Those are excellent lyrics
that deserve some clapping and a standing ovation.
So stand up and clap right now.]
------------------------------------------------------------
love is red... love is red.
She left me... left me lyin dead.

(verse)
And I watched you as you put me in the dirt.
You had my wallet tucked inside your skirt.(haha.. yeah!)
And I would know.... I would know.
I'M NOT DEAD IF WHAT YOU DID DON'T HURT.
------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that song is sooo awesome. When I heard it, it was just Sean and Schatz playin'... so, I hope he records it. I love the song... If i could explain the rythym, i would tell the chords. Well, I might as well.... It's up there. title=Smilie
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sweet93
title=Big wow! that was great...i mean....wowtitle=Big
Sean should record it!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I heard this song done by Jon Foreman! I LOVED it when he did it, but somehow I didn't recognize Sean's version.

This is how you can listen to bits of it. If you have Itunes, go to the Podcast page. Type in Switchfoot Video Podcast.
Download Episode 2. It is at 1:45 seconds into the video.

I really encourage y'all to listen to this.
<><
Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 PM

Oh and some of your lyrics are wrong.

Its:

You and I were always closest friends
It's women that make enemies of men
A pretty face, a pretty face,
A pretty face will one day do me in

<><
Old 07-08-2006, 07:55 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I've seriously sat there for like an hour trying to figure it out.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:34 PM

A couple suggestions on the lyrics; it's always hard to remember them, so I'm not sure, but I think that:

should be:

cause winter sees the wolves in women's clothes

and I think that:

Someone always wins,
(G) (A)

should be:

Someone always wins,
(G) (A)
and then they write the book
Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Red Zep
Quote:
Originally posted by mikedurand
A couple suggestions on the lyrics; it's always hard to remember them, so I'm not sure, but I think that:

should be:

cause winter sees the wolves in women's clothes

and I think that:

Someone always wins,
(G) (A)

should be:

Someone always wins,
(G) (A)
and then they write the book
OK, first of all, ''sees the wolves in women's clothes'' make much less sense than ''[seams] (as in sewing up) the holes in women's clothes''. Cmon.

And second, I haven't heard this song, but shouldn't that (B) be a (Bm)?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:13 PM

I thought it was write the book, but then i listened to it more, and It sounded more like ride the boat.

yes, RedZep, it is Bm. oopsiedasies.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Red Zep
Quote:
Originally posted by thedownsideband

yes, RedZep, it is Bm. oopsiedasies.
I'm always right.

jk. totally kidding.

psyche!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Ok does anybody have a recording of this song? Because I would LOVE to hear Sean's version. Jon's version in incredible.
<><
Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 PM

i don't know, red, wolves in womens' clothes was becoming one of my favorite metaphors in the whole song; i think it's freaking brilliant: it grabs me every time. if he didn't mean it, i'll have to use it myself!

i'll try to go to watkins family hour again next month and make it a point to listen to that part; i've heard him do it three times (once with jon, twice with just sean and sara) and each time i'd swear he said wolves .

i'm less sure about the boat versus the book in the bridge, but i really liked that line, too; what recording are you listening to, downside? and can i have a copy???

i just want to try to remember the bridge...
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM

it's seams the holes... I have a recording.

but i still can not figure out the last part of the bridge....
Old 08-01-2006, 02:21 PM

^Yeah I'm with RedZep on this one, seams the holes makes SOOO much more sense than something about wolves.

Still, is there anyone that has a recording and can tell me how to get one??
<><
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM

I don't know....I hear the ''wolves'' line. It is a metaphor and does in fact make sense. Go back and listen to Through the Spring on 26 Miles (''...or a wolf with the most amazing eyes,'' and ''in spring she took off her disguise''). Very similar imagery. Plus, you don't ''seam'' holes.

I also hear ''books.'' Haha! title=Wink

He had the blues . . . . . baroque style! - Chris on J.S. Bach, who had 20-some children that ''pretty much all died''
Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Woah! I just heard a few seconds of this song over at the Switchfoot podcast and found my way here by a random Google search. All I can say after reading the lyrics to that song is WOAH!

If anyone could be so kind as to help me get a hold of an mp3 of that song, I would be forever indebted. Send me a PM, please.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palefire
Woah! I just heard a few seconds of this song over at the Switchfoot podcast and found my way here by a random Google search. All I can say after reading the lyrics to that song is WOAH!

If anyone could be so kind as to help me get a hold of an mp3 of that song, I would be forever indebted. Send me a PM, please.
Yeah the only clip I've heard is on the Switchfoot podcast as well. And its not the whole song. The lyrics are amazing.

I know Switchfoot has a new album out soon, so is there any hope of a recording, possibly with Sean as a guest artist? Anybody know?

<><
Old 08-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Ok, I just looked on the Switchfoot forum. The song is actually called Betrayal . If you search in the Switchfoot Web Ring section of their forum, there is a place to download Jon's version. Or just search on Yahoo under Audio and Jon's version should come up.

And the lyrics are indeed wolves . Sorry I was wrong.

I really hope its alright to be posting this. We'll see...
<><
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 AM

Wow... that version of the song is definately worse than Sean's. Makes mine sound so good. And Jon missed the best line of the song! >>he says a gunshot was the only word you said and then the next line was supposed to be and all of my defenses came out red but he said she left me lyin dead . (thats later in the verse) I thought it was pretty funny.

Oh, and you can download it very easily by typing jon foreman betrayal mp3 in google. and the song is called The Day I Died. Sean even said so himself to me. (its a lot better than betrayal anywho.)

So in conclusion, jon's version is good, and Sean's is waaaaay better. title=Smilie

p.s. I want to put seans on here, but I dont want to get kicked off the forum. What will happen if i do????
Old 08-04-2006, 07:01 AM
a mod superhero- editor of posts, fighting the villians of noise and randomness

Quote:

p.s. I want to put seans on here, but I dont want to get kicked off the forum. What will happen if i do????
Depends. If it's a cell phone movie version from some video hosting site, no problem. But no audio only. If you post audio only, we moderators take you out back and beat you. Or just shake our fists in your general direction after deleting the post. One of those.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
and the song is called The Day I Died. Sean even said so himself to me. (its a lot better than betrayal anywho.)
Well Sean may call it The Day I Died but Jon's the one recording it.

I am very interested in hearing Sean's version, mostly because I can't imagine him singing it. Jon's voice is so much deeper and I think more suited to the depressing mood of the song. That mp3 I wrote about is really bad quality, but he can do the song really well. Though I'm sure Sean does too.

Oh and I've also got some lyrics updates. The first line of the 4th verse is She came to me in middle afternoon . The 2nd and 3rd line of the bridge is And then they write a book, I've seen ,I've seen my defense fade .

<><
Old 08-04-2006, 07:44 PM

thanks for the lead on where to download! finally i know the rest of the bridge; i can't wait to perform it at an open mic.

i agree, downside... jon's just not quite the guitarist that sean is. i don't really like what jon does on the bridge, guitar-wise with those dave matthews-type slidey cords. when jon and sean played it together at largo last week, i could barely hear jon's guitar at all.

on the other hand, i guess sean isn't quite the vocalist that jon is; i am sort of partial to jon's vocals. but lighthouse: sean is like, the king of sad, moody songs; have you heard his latest album?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikedurand
thanks for the lead on where to download! finally i know the rest of the bridge; i can't wait to perform it at an open mic.

i agree, downside... jon's just not quite the guitarist that sean is. i don't really like what jon does on the bridge, guitar-wise with those dave matthews-type slidey cords. when jon and sean played it together at largo last week, i could barely hear jon's guitar at all.

on the other hand, i guess sean isn't quite the vocalist that jon is; i am sort of partial to jon's vocals. but lighthouse: sean is like, the king of sad, moody songs; have you heard his latest album?
It was no problem finding the download for you guys. I wanted to hear it as much as you did!

And I completely agree with you about Jon's guitar. He's GREAT but Sean is just better. But I also think Jon's probably the better vocalist, though not by much. He has more range than Sean, and (with the exception of Watkins and Thile) I tend to prefer deeper male voices.

And yes I have Sean's new album. He is very good with those sad songs. But I just meant that I wasn't sure about the key for him and I really couldn't imagine him doing it. That's all.

One question: when Sean and Jon perform the song together, do the switch off singing lead, or does one person do it?

<><
Old 08-07-2006, 12:14 AM

I don't know about the \Sean is a better guitarist/ thing... I mean, he knows much more theory, but Jon foreman is amazing at guitar. once at festical condios, me and him were in the back of the tour bus (yeah, I know.... every persons dream) and we were playing. he is so smooth. Did you know that I heard 24 way before anyone else? Hee hee... I got a demo with Monday on it from him. haha... those are the days. I like Seans playing better, but I'm not going to measure their musical ability. Jon Foreman, Chris Thile and Paul McCarteny are the best song writers I have ever heard.

But about the legal bootleg I have... It's actually a very nice audio only recording, excellent sound. so, I guess the only way YOU ARE getting it is for $700 in the back of the dark alley outside the licour store at night. sorry fellas. Any deals?

I love Jon and Sean. they are a cool duo. wouldn't a collaboration be sweet?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:43 AM

^Well is there any way you can hint to us how to find a place just to hear it on the internet? I'm guessing not; oh well.

But I agree, Jon Foreman's lyrics blow my mind. His song The Blues makes me sad, scared, and happy at the same time. It'll be a day like this one when the world caves in.....

I'm thinking of recording a cover of Betrayal or The Day I Died or whatever sometime soon. That way I'll have some recording of it since I can't hear Sean's version. title=Frown
<><
Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 PM

lighthouse: when sean and jon performed it together a couple weeks ago at largo, sean played guitar, and jon sang and played guitar as well.

sean was playing open chords, and jon was playing something that _looked_ like octaves for some parts; i don't really remember how jon's guitar sounded, though. i seem to remember it not being turned up too loud.

it was hilarious, though; sean, of course, is completely obsessed with his instrument being perfectly in tune while he's playing. i think he sometimes spends half the shows at largo just tuning! very quirky, and borderline annoying, sometimes. anyway, i guess he thought that jon's guitar was out of tune, so before they started the song, he freaking reached over and started adjusting jon's tuning knobs! it was really quite amusing.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 PM

^ Hey thanks for answering my question.

And that's a very funny story! I can imagine Sean doing that. And from what I've seen of Jon, he's not so picky about being in tune. title=Smilie

I am PRAYING that Jon has recorded this song for Switchfoot's upcoming album. I think it's fairly likely that he has.
<><
Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iamalighthouse
^ Hey thanks for answering my question.

And that's a very funny story! I can imagine Sean doing that. And from what I've seen of Jon, he's not so picky about being in tune. title=Smilie

I am PRAYING that Jon has recorded this song for Switchfoot's upcoming album. I think it's fairly likely that he has.
<><
in Switchfoot newst podcast (10) he sings it, Sara sings in it too! Betrayal.....

where can you hear Sean's version?

Last edited by heyheyhey : 08-15-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 PM

^Yeah thanks for letting me know that! Sounds great with Sara's harmony!
<><
Old 08-15-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iamalighthouse
^Yeah thanks for letting me know that! Sounds great with Sara's harmony!
<><
no problem! yeah, it is great!!

still waiting to hear Sean's version!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by heyheyhey

no problem! yeah, it is great!!

still waiting to hear Sean's version!
Yeah so am I. We're not supposed to post audio clips like that on the boards, not that I can find the song anyway.
<><
Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM

I've sung this a few times at cafes, and got a pretty good response. I worked for a while on getting the lyric right and posted my version here:

http://www.teleios.us/weblogs/mikedurand/455

Sara looked them over and made a couple corrections (or at least it was someone logged in to MySpace as as Watkins Family Hour who signed as Sara =)

Anyway, I can't wait for the Sean-Jon record to come out...
Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to lavieboheme
The Day I Died i have a live copy if anyone wants it

I have a live copy of The Day I Died if anyone wants it

It's randomly one of my favorite songs of his.

just email me at JakeBS@gmail.com if you want it

Jake

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: