Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2005, 05:43 PM

Nickel Creek at the movies

So the weirdest thing the other day, I was walking through a Regal Cinemas movie theatre and I heard "When in Rome" in the hallway. Seemed kind of obscure, but very cool.

I was wondering, has anyone else heard Nickel Creek in an obscure place?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:59 PM

I heard When You Come Back Down at Dillards. It kind of freaked me out. But it was cool, I was excitedtitle=Smilie

title=Smilie Fiddlin For The Creekers title=Smilie
!I share a birthday with Sean!
~February 18th~
title=Smilie If you are going to play, play with the Creek in mind title=Smilie
Old 09-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to buttermuffin4
I heard 'When in Rome' (they were playing the music video) at Hastings, I dunno if that's considered a strange location because it's an entertainment store. . .

'He's not open-minded, he's just a moron.'
-Get Fuzzy
Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Location: In a hole in the ground... Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandyhole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat:it is a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort~ Tolkien
Talking

At the coffee shop I work at they get XM Radio. I usually listen to the station #75 HEAR MUSIC " The Voice of Music at Starbucks". I know that sounds terrible to play Starbucks station at an independent coffee shop, but Starbucks does have a great atmosphere, even if there coffee is way over roasted. But back to the point HEAR MUSIC plays Nickel Creek. They play Somebody More Like You, and on Saturday I heard Can't Complain. I just made my day. It was so funny, I was helping a customer, and when I heard the song my brain just kind of froze. I couldn't really think about anything else. I may have seemed like a zomie- barista. Again it made my day !!!! title=PARTY Nickel Creek makes me happy, and I just Can't Complain !title=Stick

A great writer, with words as his paintbrush, can capture the perfect essence of the moment .
Old 09-29-2005, 01:54 PM

I just saw this on Creek's website-Sean and
Sara will be heard in a new movie coming out
tomorrow... Wonder what they're gonna sing...

Nancy
Old 09-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to PrincessNic
I think that it is just the score so I don't think they will be singing, only playing

Thoughts of a Princess

My View on Life:

I thought it was gonna be like in the movies -- you know, inspirational music, a montage: me sharpening my pencil, me reading, writing, falling asleep on a big pile of books with my glasses all crooked, 'cause in my montage, I have glasses. But real life is slow, and it's starting to hurt my occipital lobe.--Buffy Summers
Old 09-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to eripmav Send a message via Yahoo to eripmav
playin is good enough title=Smilie
Old 09-29-2005, 05:27 PM

I guess I'll have to see that movie...

Nancy
Old 09-29-2005, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to ChrisTisit4me
I watched the trailer, it looks really good.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 PM
I have no eye :)

Dang I got all excited for a minute there hahaa... I dunno if there are any Firefly fans on this board, but the movie Serenity releases tommorrow... they have some great accoustic influence on lots of their soundtrack and my hubby & I were just discussing the other day how the Creek would be a perfect compliment to the show/movie!

But still, congrats to the Watkins' ! Very cool stuff.

HeatherD, Happy Lil'Creekster title=Big
Green & Gray.net ~The Unofficial Chris Thile Fan Site
Old 09-30-2005, 04:32 PM

YEAH Serenity!!! You are doing your browncoat duty.

Thoughts of a Princess

My View on Life:

I thought it was gonna be like in the movies -- you know, inspirational music, a montage: me sharpening my pencil, me reading, writing, falling asleep on a big pile of books with my glasses all crooked, 'cause in my montage, I have glasses. But real life is slow, and it's starting to hurt my occipital lobe.--Buffy Summers
Old 10-01-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adyn
Dang I got all excited for a minute there hahaa... I dunno if there are any Firefly fans on this board, but the movie Serenity releases tommorrow... they have some great accoustic influence on lots of their soundtrack and my hubby & I were just discussing the other day how the Creek would be a perfect compliment to the show/movie!

But still, congrats to the Watkins' ! Very cool stuff.
Actually, Joss Whedon (Serenity writer/director) is a huge NC fan. I saw an interview a few days ago where he said when he made a temp soundtrack for the film composer to get an idea of what he wanted, he included several NC songs.

I would encourage everyone here to go see Serenity anyway! Then go out and buy the Firefly DVDs. title=Big
Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Banjo_Ken

Actually, Joss Whedon (Serenity writer/director) is a huge NC fan. I saw an interview a few days ago where he said when he made a temp soundtrack for the film composer to get an idea of what he wanted, he included several NC songs.

I would encourage everyone here to go see Serenity anyway! Then go out and buy the Firefly DVDs. title=Big
Sweet!!! Not suprising, considering much of the music in the series.

And yes, everyone should GO see Serenity this weekend!!! (Though I think if you've seen Firefly it's THAT much better... Joss's character's are just so great, seeing the movie is like having a reunion with some of your best friends hhahaha) But... I digress off topic hahah, maybe if they do a sequel Joss will go for some Creek in the 'track.

Can't stop the signal!!! title=Big

Old 10-01-2005, 02:48 PM
third member

Re: Nickel Creek at the movies

Quote:
Originally posted by green pickles
I was wondering, has anyone else heard Nickel Creek in an obscure place?

Applebee's.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:25 PM

Joss is a NC fan???? That is so cool. All of my favorite things seem to mesh together into one.

I wonder if the band are Joss fans? That would just be the icing on the cake.

Thoughts of a Princess

My View on Life:

Old 10-03-2005, 07:02 PM

Oh darn, I just noticed I was the last one to post here...I don't want to double post..

oh well. I just had to tell you guys this.

I was at work today and I had to call this website company and they put me on hold and I heard Pastures News! So exciting to hear Nickel Creek anytime, but it was very odd considering it is from their first album and it is not one anyone usually plays.

And then I had to call them back again about 30 minutes later and they put me on hold again. This time it was Hanging on by a Thread! I think they were just playing all of their albums over and over again that day. But it was very cool! I am meeting with them tomorrow I am going to ask them about and praise them for their excellent choice of on hold music!

Thoughts of a Princess

My View on Life:

Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Banjo_Ken

Here's a quote from that very interview with Joss:

JOSS's 'SERENITY' MIX TAPE (Part 1)

Q. I have a friend who's a big film-score geek, and I told him I was interviewing you. He told me you wax philosophic and rhapsodic about the score to this film for like three pages in the new companion book that just came out --

A. It's actually five pages.

Q. Oh. Sorry.

A. No, I mean it was five pages when I typed it. That was written before we'd hired a composer. All those memos [in "Serenity: The Official Visual Companion"] were [written] before we made the movie; they were pre-production memos. I gave David Newman that memo; I also gave him a mix tape with everything on my iPod that might be useful.

Q. And this is actually what my score-geek friend wanted to know: What were those songs?

A. There were a couple of songs from Nickel Creek, whom I adore -- I love them with a fiery vengeance. There was some movie stuff: "Angela's Ashes," Elmer Bernstein's theme from "Far from Heaven" -- not because they were necessarily the right idiom, but because the themes were so incredibly indelible within the first 20 seconds, which is about as much time as I usually gave David. [laughs] They had to become indelible before there was too much going on for anybody to hear anything.
I'm gonna forget a bunch of stuff. Definitely important was "For the Turnstiles" by Neil Young, off "Decade" -- because it has this very sort of dampened banjo in it. And I played this for him particularly when we were going over it, just to say, "Look at how he's taking all the reverb off of this, and making just as sort of personal as possible."

-JP
Old 10-11-2005, 09:15 AM

How very cool!! Thanks for posting the quote title=Big

Old 10-11-2005, 08:47 PM

He loves them with a "fiery vengeance"???? That so cool. Willow used that phrase on Buffy.

Thoughts of a Princess

My View on Life:

Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Just wanted you guys to know we had dinner in a Pub called Muldoons tonight and the music was on very quietly in the background. After a while I heard the tinkling of the mandolin and my ears perked up. Yup. It was When in Rome in an Irish Pub. title=Smilie
Old 10-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Woo! I finally heard them outside my house hahaha. I was working offsite at a clients design firm yesterday & she had KPIG playing in the background. I got this big grin when they played WIR hahaha, and of course had to tell everyone that they are my mostest favoritest band title=Big They even turned it up for me! Wooo! title=[lolol]

Old 10-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Papaduke Send a message via Yahoo to Papaduke
I have heard them a couple times out and about, a couple years ago I was at an Irish pub in Alpharetta and talking with some friends, and I stopped in mid sentence because "Sweet Afton" came on, I apologised to everyone at the table and explained that it was one of the most beautiful songs I had ever heard and just sat there with a very happy look on my face. We spent 20 mins after that talking about NC. I actually got 2 people into the band that night. Then a couple weeks ago I was on the Kennesaw State campus before class and the Student Dining Area has MTV U and they played the WIR video. It was funny because I was listening to my iPod and WIR was playing as well, a harmonic convergence of the NC.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:47 PM

Music in new movie

You all were discussing the movie that Nickel Creek's music is heard in... they have music in the movie "The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio" that's in theaters now. The cool thing about that for me is that I go to college here in Defiance, so it makes things that much more real for me.
I was hoping the movie might get mentioned at the concert in Cleveland last week, but no luck. title=Wink
I'm such a dork- a movie about my adopted town, with music by one of my favorite bands... what could be better?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to levinebob
Hi -

A few friends and I saw the band in Chicago on October 26th. We've caught them every time they come near Chicago since we saw them open for Bela Fleck at Ravinia (Illinois) a few years ago.

The next day my business took me to Dallas. While waiting for my return flight, I ate at a TGIF in the airport. Low and behold, Nickel Creek is playing on the speakers at the restaurant. Very cool, I thought, as I had been telling my business partner about the group, the concert, et-cetera, and here they were on the loudspeakers.

I got on the plane and kidded my partner that the group is becoming so popular, I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the in-flight entertainment channels. Sure enough, there they were (American Airlines).

In short, the world is discovering what many of us have know for years, the group is simple incredible. And lucky for us fans that we are beginning to hear them everywhere we go.

Best of luck in the coming years.

Bob Levine
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM

I had never heard Nickel Creek anywhere but the other day I heard them at walmart. It was I'll be Home for Christmas from the Prancer Returns movie soundtrack. I was so excited to finally hear them somewhere.title=Big
Old 12-16-2006, 11:07 PM

I heard This Side while getting of an airplane. It was playing over the intercom. Ironic cause i was on a plane ride home from a fiddle camp Sara was at.title=Big
Old 12-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to ljs242000 Send a message via Yahoo to ljs242000
I heard them at a little independent coffee shop near my work! I think it was When in rome, funny that other comment about...
At the coffee shop I work at they get XM Radio. I usually listen to the station #75 HEAR MUSIC The Voice of Music at Starbucks . I know that sounds terrible to play Starbucks station at an independent coffee shop, but Starbucks does have a great atmosphere, even if there coffee is way over roasted. But back to the point HEAR MUSIC plays Nickel Creek.
Yeah I was in line and totally froze in the moment ya know!
Lori
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Wow, I haven't been back to this board in a while. I think a year...

Anyway. I've heard When You Come Back Down in a unique clothing store in this place called Olde Towne Spring just outside of my city, and it was really strange yet exciting to hear them. I remember looking around at the highly priced but cute clothes and then standing there, grinning like an idiot while the boombox under a bench near me played that song. (I think it was on a CD, which was even better, meaning that someone who worked at the store or the owner actually had it on a mix CD!)

title=Big title=Big
Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 PM

I was in my local Stop & Shop just the other day, where the background music is barely audible, but When in Rome came on very clearly, and it made me smile (until the price of bananas brought me back to reality). Been playing their cd's over and over in the car lately, including Sean and Chris's solo cd's. Great driving music!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM

not only are they on the Delta in-flight entertainment (there's a Sugar Hill retrospective channel) they're also on the channel that plays very softly over the entire plane during boarding and disembarkment.
not bad really, though they DO claim the tracks are from 'Reasons Why' and not from their proper albums. bah.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:03 PM

I heard Lighthouse over the music system sitting poolside at the Westin Ka'anapali Resort Villas in Maui last week. :-)
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffLester
Westin Ka'anapali Resort Villas in Maui
meh meh meh... title=Stick
hahaha actually i heard Smoothie song at the Westin in Savannah GA in their lobby back in November, how did i forget that?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM

I wonder if there's some secret underground group of hotel managers who are also diehard creeksters.

''Ohhh son!'''
-Chris Thile
Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Red Zep
Quote:
Originally posted by chickzilla

meh meh meh... title=Stick
hahaha actually i heard Smoothie song at the Westin in Savannah GA in their lobby back in November, how did i forget that?
No way! That's awesome... now I'm gonna have to drive over there one day and just chill in their lobby for a while.

BTW, I think that's actually SC territory but Savannah claims it. lol
Old 01-08-2007, 09:40 PM

I'm not sure, everything i have read says that the far side of the Westin golf course is SC but everything else is GA, who knows? (but that hotel is truly one of my favourite places on earth, i *heart* it)
and if there IS a series of diehard Creeker hotel managers, i bet one of them is lurking here. come out come out wherever you are!!! title=Wink
anyone else heard NC in a hotel?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:00 PM

I heard Best of Luck in Quiznos at lunch today.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Cool weird location

I heard Nickel Creek's Bob Dylan cover, Tomorrow is a Long Time at a pumpkin festival! it was hilarious...my sister and I were on a hay ride, when all of a sudden we looked at each other, and said, hey! i hear sara!

title=Big
Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM

I heard a country radio station at work (called The Gator) play Smoothie Song during the weather update. I've actually heard it twice, and both times it made me think a tornado or some other disaster was coming. As it turns out, there was no great calamity and the weather was actually not all that bad.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM

So it was smooth then? Bahahaha title=Big
Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinuviel Girl
So it was smooth then? Bahahaha title=Big
HAHAHA So smooth you could sail!! Get it?! SMOOTH SAILING!! PAHAHAHAHcough
Old 02-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Haha, Red Zep title=Big
During Christmastime this year, I was buying shoes at Kohl's and heard Somebody More Like You come on! I thought it was funny because I was listening to it about twenty minutes before. title=[lolol]
Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 PM

I was at Barnes & Noble some time ago, just reading, and then my ears pick up Ode to a Butterfly. My mouth fell open. They continued to play the rest of the [i]Nickel Creek[i] album.

And then, November 2005, I went to a music instrument store for a shoulder rest for my violin (which we gave to a friend when I picked up mando) and they were playing WSTFD. I observed this to the guy at the counter and it turns out he had been at the same NC concert as I had!

Cool beans, I must say.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM

It must have distracted people at Barnes & Noble, what with your loud singing along and all... just kidding. title=[lolol]
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ThisSide
It must have distracted people at Barnes & Noble, what with your loud singing along and all... just kidding. title=[lolol]
Yeah I tend to sing Ode to a Buttefly really loud, too. title=Smilie
Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM

Who doesn't? title=[lolol]
Old 05-26-2007, 12:45 PM

I heard Lighthouse's Tale on the radio yesterday. I had never heard them on the radio before. I was so happy to hear them.title=Big
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to BigTRQ Send a message via Yahoo to BigTRQ
Green and Gray just made an instrumental showing on TNT's ''NASCAR Raceday'', as part of their ''Pride of NASCAR'' segment. Pretty cool!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM

I also heard Green and Gray on NASCAR Raceday . I had tivo'd the pre-race/race stuff and set it to play while I was finishing some work. I heard the first few notes of Green and Gray and had to see if they were on TV. They weren't but it was exciting to hear the instrumental version anyway. title=listenign

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: