Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > General Discussions > tour schedule and concerts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Ryman Concert

Just because the last thread was getting to be too long, can we start to post the Ryman reviews on this new thread? I would love to hear how both nights went, since I wasn't able to make the trip. Pics would be cool too.

Also, someone asked for a setlist. I saw this on a different thread on this forum. Cut and paste the link to review.

http://www.nickelcreek.info/forum/sh...?threadid=7121
Old 11-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Re: Ryman Concert

Nickel Creek Farewell (for now) at the Ryman, November 29, 2007

Almost exactly 18 years ago—December, 1989--my wife Karen and I were in Nashville for Newgrass Revival’s “Farewell (for now)” performance at The Cannery, which preceded their final gig opening for the Dead on New Year’s Eve in California. It was the end of an era, the most important band in the short history of Newgrass music in their last hurrah.

Last night, I wore the Newgrass Revival shirt from that final mini-tour as my wife and I, along with our 14 year old son Jake, enjoyed the Farewell (“for now”) performance of Nickel Creek, the most important Newgrass band since NGR, in Nashville’s Ryman auditorium.

And when Bela Fleck joined them as one of their guests, it brought a direct connection between the band that ended 18 years ago with the band of kids that was just beginning, 18 years ago.

It was a satisfying ending. There were few mentions of the “farewell” aspect of the show, but the looks on the faces of the trio as they stood on the stage at the end, taking their final bows as a band, said plenty. This was a triumphantly bittersweet moment.

The guests on various numbers were pianist Benmont Tench (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Tim O’Brien, Bela Fleck, and Scott Thile, Chris’s father and the original NC bassist, who came out for an encore.

I’m sure someone will post a setlist eventually. I didn’t keep one, but I am in the process of posting a few very low-definition video snippets on YouTube that I caught last night (my YouTube username is obadiahe). Here are the comments attached to those videos:
===
Nickel Creek Farewell 1 [comments on upcoming series of postings]: Here are a few low-def moments from Nickel Creek's Farewell (for now) concert tonight (actually, last night, Thursday, November 29, 2007) from Nashville's Ryman. I had a VERY limited amount of memory, and I kept deleting segments to make more room as the concert moved to its finish--the damn thing kept running out, usually in mid tune. Unfortunately, there's nothing of Gillian Welch & David Rawlings or Benmont Tench, but what I did capture was wonderful, including the end of an encore with Chris's father Scott Thile reprising his role as original bassist. So, here are a few highlights, in order of performance (The Fox, of which the very end is included, ended the show, before the encores). Also included are the last few bars of the final number and a bow.

Nickel Creek Farewell 2: [Jealous Of The Moon-excerpt] The laughter is because, announcing the tune, Sara complained about how rarely people dance to it, a waltz. During the tune, a couple of guys in the wings began to waltz together.

Nickel Creek Farewell 3: This is the longest segment, a virtually complete performance of Anthony, and Bela Fleck joining them for a Strength In Numbers number, Texas Red. You can hear the opening notes of Lighthouse as the memory goes blink.

Nickel Creek Farewell 4: This is the official end of the show (before the encores), the last couple minutes of The Fox, from the end of Mark Schatz's Hambone, with Chris joining him, to their bows.

Nickel Creek Farewell 5: The first two-and-a-half minutes of Whitewater, with Bela Fleck and Tim O'Brien guesting. This was most frustrating time that the memory ran out.

Nickel Creek Farewell 6: Excerpt from Blue Night with guests Tim O'Brien, Bela Fleck and Chris's father Scott, Nickel Creek's original bassist.

Nickel Creek Farewell 7: Last notes of Blue Night with guests Tim O'Brien, Bela Fleck and Chris's father Scott, Nickel Creek's original bassist, with Scott's on-stage farewell to the band.

Nickel Creek Farewell 8: The End. The last moments of “Why Should the Fire Die,” unamplified.
===
So keep an eye on YouTube for these.

Dave Royko
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 PM

hi david,

It was good to meet you last night, i was the gal right behind you.

can't wait to see the videos, i got some pretty amazing photos from where i was.

the two guys waltzing on the side of the stage were david rawlings and i believe benmont tench...that was pretty awesome.

i don't guess anyone officially recorded this show, huh....
Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the videos and info david, its great to hear about all this for those of us that couldn't make it out
Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to stratos22 Send a message via Yahoo to stratos22
David, I saw you last night in that shirt. It
s not over till it's over! Good stuff.

I imagine it was bittersweet for them to say goodbye last night. You could sort of see it on their faces outside at the bus too. However, for them, it's not over. There's much more music in the future from all of them. I'm sure we'll all be there when they come around again by themselves or together. It's been a wonderful journey and I'm happy to have been there last night to remember it all.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
what is the LCS?

3 words...

I needed that!

After the bus party, I really just couldn't stand to listen to the 'Creek for about a year and a half. However, I fell in love with the music all over again last night. And that's what it's about; the music! Which is another reason I've stayed away from .info from so long. The Nickel Creek is 'the way, the truth, and the life', and my life is over unless I can be their very best friend attitude sickens me to death.

I can't believe I actually heard a few people after the show talking about their disappointments. Are they frickin' stupid? Are they so selfish, they can't realize what they just saw?!?

*wahhh* They didn't play Toxic. *wahhh*

Dude! Bela Fleck and Gillian Welch were there!! Chris' dad kicked some bass. Tim O'Brien showed me what real bluegrass sounds like. I half-way expected Glen Phillips to walk out, which would have been awesome.

The ONLY things I didn't like were the retard up in the balcony yelling out the usual Sara, you're hot! and the moron behind us with the beepbeepbeeping camera during Why Should The Fire Die. IT'S THE LAST SONG!!! PUT THE FRICKIN' CAMERA AWAY AND ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!

So, yeah...that was the closure I needed. Absolutely amazing. We didn't wait at the bus because we had to go get our car from the lot, but we weren't sorry about it, either. It was one of those things that you just don't want to ruin with a sudden onslaught of reality. Keep the wall up. I like it better that way.

http://www.wazneeni.com/

And He said to them, ''Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.'' (Mark 16:15-16)
Old 11-30-2007, 07:07 PM

Wow. simply an amazing show... i could have stood there for hours and listened to them continue to play. One can only hope that someone got a tape of the show...

3-fan, were you able to sneak a recorder in?

It was great to meet a bunch of you last night. I was right behind Esther...
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 PM

As a kid of the suburbs, the stages and campgrounds of bluegrass festivals were the farthest thing from my mind and location growing up. Last night, however, as a truly remarkable group of musicians showed up to support and play with my favorite band, I felt like I got a glimpse of just how amazing the chemistry and dynamic of such a setting can be. To see the talents of Bela Fleck, Tim O'Brien, Benmont Tench, Gillian Welch, and David Rawlings in conjunction with those of Sara, Chris, Sean, and Schatz was a truly stunning experience. The addition of mentors and compatriots truly added to the distinctiveness of the evening. So last night, if only for a moment, I forgot I was watching a show indoors in downtown Nashville; instead, I found myself somewhere altogether different.

''Ohhh son!'''
-Chris Thile
Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QuoVadimus
As a kid of the suburbs, the stages and campgrounds of bluegrass festivals were the farthest thing from my mind and location growing up. Last night, however, as a truly remarkable group of musicians showed up to support and play with my favorite band, I felt like I got a glimpse of just how amazing the chemistry and dynamic of such a setting can be. To see the talents of Bela Fleck, Tim O'Brien, Benmont Tench, Gillian Welch, and David Rawlings in conjunction with those of Sara, Chris, Sean, and Schatz was a truly stunning experience. The addition of mentors and compatriots truly added to the distinctiveness of the evening. So last night, if only for a moment, I forgot I was watching a show indoors in downtown Nashville; instead, I found myself somewhere altogether different.
Complete agreement. My wife and I were talking on the way home about how much those long moments during the encores--when the musicians were in big, animated huddles sorting out what to do--reminded us of our days in the '80s at festivals like Telluride or the KFC Festival in Lousiville, with various mind-blowing fantasy combinations of musicians coming together and doing it on the fly. Having Bela and Tim O'Brien with Scott Thile grinning seriously as he pumped the bass for his kids again--THAT was something special. One of several goosebump moments.

Dave Royko
Old 12-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EstherSmith
hi david,

can't wait to see the videos, i got some pretty amazing photos from where i was.

the two guys waltzing on the side of the stage were david rawlings and i believe benmont tench...that was pretty awesome.

i don't guess anyone officially recorded this show, huh....
It was nice meeting you too, Esther. And thanks for the identities of the maverick waltzers!

I've put the direct links to my video clips on my webpage now, in case you want to go in that way.

Next stop, The Punch Brothers on NYEve!

Dave
Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stratos22
David, I saw you last night in that shirt. It
s not over till it's over! Good stuff.
Thanks Stratos, you should've said Hay!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM

12 New Ryman Videos

Friends:

I've gotten so much pleasure from watching videos others have posted over the years that it is high time I return the favor.

If you go to YouTube and search for key word mpupik , you should get all 12 of the videos I've posted (10 of which are songs in full, 2 are partial recordings) from the last Ryman show.*

I wish the video and sound quality were better, but I'm happy to share what I've got, particularly for those who couldn't make it to Nashville.

I caught Chris Thile's dad after the last show and told him that Chris, Sara and Sean had brought a lot of joy into my life over the last several years.

Here's hoping they'll return one day for more.

Best to all.

* YouTube videos posted by mpupik

1 Ode to A Butterfly
2 Scotch & Chocolate
3 Ferdinand the Bull
4 Smoothie Song
5 Anthony
6 Texas Red (with Bela Fleck)
7 Lighthouse (with Bela Fleck)
8 I Want You Back
9 Cuckoo's Nest (partial)
10 When You Come Back Down (with Tim O'Brien)
11 Nellie Kane (partial - with Tim O'Brien)
12 The Fox/The Weight
Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 PM

Thanks again for putting the videos up. I messaged you on there as triton338.

QV: you mentioned about getting that bluegrassy, out of the city, good feeling. I felt the same way. Throughout the night as they played various songs I would think back to other shows I've been to when I first heard them play those certain songs. And I would think of the long hours of driving to and from the venues and loss of sleep just to get to enjoy their shows. Great times! There's plenty more to come in different ways!

Matt
Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Here are the video clips I took. There is one more but it doesn't seem to want to be on the internet! title=Confused Enjoy!!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=23225846
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=23220242
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=23215215
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=23208973
Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM

I gotta tell ya Tathiel, I do quite love ya for these title=Embarrassment)

Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Hahaha! You are very welcome! title=Big
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM

Here is the last video that I took in Nashville. I FINALLY got it to load! Enjoy!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=23297583
Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
hi david,
Were you the screamer? There was someone in the general vicinity behind David that did a lot of screaming. title=Big

Quote:
Originally posted by TopCat
One can only hope that someone got a tape of the show...
There were at least 3 recordings made from the audience.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 AM

no that wasn't me screaming...that was a young lady behind us..poor thing was sobbing at the encore..almost made me lose it, too.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
that was a young lady behind us..poor thing was sobbing at the encore..
For the record, she was sobbing at every single song...not just the encore. (she was seated next to us) Ahhh youth. title=Smilie
Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 PM

I think I saw some tissue passing for her. title=Smilie
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to acopley Send a message via Yahoo to acopley
Quote:
Originally posted by TopCat

For the record, she was sobbing at every single song...not just the encore. (she was seated next to us) Ahhh youth. title=Smilie
You must have been in the same row as me, if you're talking about the girl I am thinking of. I passed her some tissues during the show. She cried the night before as well. She's a sweet kid. title=Smilie

thile fans
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 PM

I was right behind you. Someone had some Red roof hotel tissues.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Red Zep
title=big
Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM

I just tried this once and wasn't able to get the image to show and then my computer ate the post (grumble) so I will try again.

In case anyone here or who was hanging out with us isn't on Facebook, here's the picture of the 'hardcore Creekers' (motto: They come to us !) taken as we waited by the bus for the band after the last ever show.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...0711300402.jpg

L-R: genefruit (Gene), acopley (Andrea), Sara whose username I've forgotten, stratos22 (Matt), 3Fan (Greg), Thistle (Victoria), QuoVadimus (Elliot), Tathiel (Lindsay), LevellerRich (Rich), Jamie who I don't think ever actually told me her username!

Not pictured: Elliot's dad and Nigel Tufnel (Elizabeth, who took the picture).

I'm so glad you were all there - you made it such a joyous experience! Thanks for humouring my crazy self and being such great company. One day we will reunite, be stronger and have more drink...and I can't wait title=Big

Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Ryman Auditorium Wednesday Nov 28

On a return visit to the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN Nickel Creek
said a fond ‘farewell, for now.’ Tongue in cheek, the theme for the evening
was the ebb and flow of relationships and the strains one can encounter
along the way. The foursome wove in the usual mix of NC favorites
balanced with a number of new(er) songs and Chris Thile solo selections,
easing into the evening almost by rote, but performing with energy and
aplomb! An extended version of Lighthouse Song and Ode to Butterfly,
and a sing-along (la la la) to Scotch and Chocolate made for enjoyable
moments in the early part of the show.
The encore was punctuated by Chris Thile’s notion that this relationship
may be in question because it is Toxic, NC launched into the pop hit with
full groove on and Chris electrified in dance, stopping to pose only for a
moment before undulating to the rhythms. (Sounded uncannily like the
B-52’s) Definitely a crowd pleaser!
Coming back down to earth Benmont Tench and Edgar Meyer once
again joined the group for some humor and musical icing on the
cake, if you will.

As the final notes of Tomorrow’s Such a Long Time echoed through the
Ryman, we can certainly hope that the spirit of NC will continue to live
on in the years ahead in some incarnation. I suspect NC will continue
to flow musically for many years!

P.S. Hoping someone recorded this Wed night session...I'd love a
B&P copy if possible. (new to the live recording barter system!?!?)
title=Smilie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: