Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2003, 07:56 AM

Talking St Pete Show

Good morning all you fellow creeksters!!!

Well I can't say enough about last nights show. Awesome!!! The pre show fun began for my wife, my brother, a good friend and I when we ate down the road from Janis Landing at the Atlanta Bread Company. As we were ordering our food who would come and get in line behind us?? Sean Watkins!!! At that same moment my phone rang and it was my dad who is a huge Nickel Creek fan. I couldn't resist. I asked Sean if he would talk to my dad and he did. Classic!! "Um dad someone want's to talk to you." Hand the phone to Sean. Sean, "Hello, this is Sean." Dad probrably said Sean who. Sean, "Sean Watkins from the band Nickel Creek." It was great.

Any way now to the important stuff the music. We were there early so we got to hear the sound check. Some great new stuff is on the way folks. They used the sound check to rehearse some new material. There was one in particlar that was way spacey/jammy. They kept working on the end of it. Serious build and then an abrupt stop. Cool Stuff!!!

The show was great despite the problems Chris was having with his mandolin rig. It was a bad conection in the volume pedal>tuner>preamp>what ever the heck else he has going on up there. He refered to it as the "mouse trap."

The show started with a great Crooked Jack and they kinda teased there way into a smoking Smoothie. Chris did some great disonant runs on this. I can't remember if The Fox was next but they have started doing this key change thing in the breaks. Way cool. I'd love to see them get into the epic fox jams again Mario Brothers and all. The fist set was way solid until the mouse trap began rearing it's ugly head. Chris was obviously frustrated.

So they decided to take a set break and came out and did the old fashioned round the mic bluegrass set up. At first the band seemed a bit aprehensive. Then they just let loose. They ended up really getting into the set up. Highlights from second set: House Carpenter, It's in A (new instrumental), and of course the Ode>Taxman encore.

It was a show that truly showed off the spirit of this band. They were met with adverse conditions and just shined. Great Show!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 10:31 AM

yep, very good show.. my review is in the tours section of the board title=Smilie Where were you standing at?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:00 PM

It was a magical night indeed! I actually became teary eyed during the first couple of songs. I don't know why, but I was just having a moment I guess. One of the first couple of songs they played was sort of spacey\jammy as someone else had mentioned. Does anyone know what it was? I don't have all of their cd's yet so I don't know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: