Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2003, 10:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to BigTymer
Best Mandolin Player Ever

I've tried to listen to a variety of mandolin players, and I honestly believe that Chris Thile is the best I've ever heard. Sam Bush is a great player and so is Ricky Skaggs and Ronny McCoury, but I still believe that Chris Thile takes the gold in overall greatness... :-)
Old 08-20-2003, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Guesswho_Chick
I may just have to agree...know I'm not as familar with as many mando players as I should be, but there just doesn't seem to be anybody with Chris's energy and diversity...Mike Marshall comes close, but his playing isn't quiiiite as bright as Chris's...
Old 08-20-2003, 04:28 PM

i have to agree with guesswho_chick i haven't heard a lot of mando players but mike marshall and chris are the best that i have heard

title=Smilie Fiddlin For The Creekers title=Smilie
!I share a birthday with Sean!
~February 18th~
title=Smilie If you are going to play, play with the Creek in mind title=Smilie
Old 08-20-2003, 08:38 PM

No offense to Mr. Marshall, but I don't see how you can even compare him to Chris Thile. Marshal has skill, and he can write. I will give you that, but in overall talent he is in a different league than Mr. Thile. Thile has such a mastery over his music and his instrument that he is able to produce sounds that I've never heard anyone come close to emulating. IE the climax of 'Ode To A Butterfly' is absolutely remarkable, and watching it makes it even more unbelievable. Chris Thile might go down in the history books as the best mandolin player of all times. I hope so anyway; he deserves it.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mandoBob
Firstly, "person 1 is a better this than person B" kind of talk is seldom constructive. Obviously it's just opinions, especially when it comes down to the artistry. That being said:

I'm nearly as big of a CT fan as anyone else, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and defend Mike Marshall. He can match Chris note-for-note, yet he has a depth and maturity many years beyond. Chris will get there, undoubtedly. There's just something to be said about that elusive tone. Perhaps it's all that tinkering with his poor old Loar (or the love that motivates the tinkering?). Let's say there's a style we all recognize, and let's call it Chris Thile style. Well, just as Chris *can* play bluegrass but doesn't much anymore, I think Mike *can* play Chris Thile style (like the mind-blowing runs in Ode), yet chooses to do something else.

Which comes back to the original point. ;-)
Old 08-21-2003, 09:24 AM
I have no eye :)

I'm with mandobob. Much as Chris is my mandohero LOL. I think the idea of being the "best" player is #1 far too vague and #2 far too subjective. (You're talking about composing pieces, and interpreting them) There's no way to measure anything, unless you count notes per second or some such thing LOL, and that doesn't have anything to do with being a great musician.

I'd agree that there is a group of indiviuals who, though their skill and experience set themselves apart as masters of the instrument. Beyond that, it's a matter of taste, situation, and personal perspective.

I would say Chris is phenomenal, I would say he's MY favorite mando player, I would say his playing and writing is nothing short of brilliant. But there are many "greats" out there who have different qualities, different sounds, different skills, and thier own artistic touches.

Chris and Mike feed off each other, they push each other. They are an awesome duo. I really don't think it's possible to say one is better than the other, nor is it necessary.

Though one thing Mike did tell, me after one of the shows, plus something I seem to hear echoed elsewhere is that Chris "picks up" things REALLY fast. Someone once descibed as the aural equivalent to a "photographic memory".

I suspect if you asked Chris if he was better than Mike, he'd laugh and say no way. He has SO much respect for Mike, as well as many of the other great musicians out there.

HeatherD, Happy Lil'Creekster title=Big
Green & Gray.net ~The Unofficial Chris Thile Fan Site
Old 08-21-2003, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guesswho_Chick
but there just doesn't seem to be anybody with Chris's energy and diversity
Bill Monroe people! Please dont forget him. He has a style all his own that guaranteed 100% inspired Chris Thile, Ronnie McCoury, Mike Marshall, and Mike Compton.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to SeanWfan33 Send a message via Yahoo to SeanWfan33
chris is the best mando player.. i have to say, just watching him is amazing...when he plays you cant even see his fingers hes going so fast!! hes the most talented ive seen...

Always Listen

RED SOX
Old 09-21-2003, 09:32 PM

bill monroe is definitely one of the best mandolin players of all times because he made the instrument famous, but thile is more creative in my opinion
Old 09-22-2003, 06:15 AM

I love both, and I hope we get to hear 50+ years of Chris's evolution on the instrument, just as we have the half-century of Bill Monroe. [Hyperbolic sign-off: the giant on whose shoulders we all stand.]
Ay, I'm right here, Nickel, and I'll write. Singing the top line why it suits me mikey fine. But, yaghags hogwarts and arrahquinonthiance, it's the muddest thick that was ever heard dump since Eggsmather--JJ, Finnegans Wake
Old 09-22-2003, 12:27 PM

Okay, I'm gonna jump on the "there's no number one" bandwagon, I don't think you can really say that anyone is better than somebody else. What we're essentially talking about is art...and it's so much in the eye (or the ear) of the beholder. I think what Chris has achieved is to take the instrument in new directions (but so did Monroe, and Yank Ratchell sp? who I don't think anybody has mentioned yet) which obviously opens up new fans and players.

But you know, there could've been a virtuouso player way back in the day in Italy, it's really impossible to say.

But, to add a slightly different scope, being 'great' at something doesn't necessarily revolve solely around skill...It's about passion, and desire, and belief in the instrument. It's about mastering the instrument. Also, it's about helping other people, and sharing your knowledge and skills...so, for that reason, I'd like to throw someone else into the hat (this is weird, so bear with me) being Yank Ratchell, but also right here on the board, MandoBob, because certainly when I wanted to start out he was very quick and very happy to share his wonderful knowledge, and I'm sure some of you have had similar experiences with the folks here. Without that help and advice, I might never have picked up the mandolin...

Okay...weirdness rant over.... title=tomato
Old 09-22-2003, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to mandoBob
if that says what I think it does:

aww, you're sweet. and you've obviously never heard me play. it's been a woefully long time since I've played much of anything. my passions come and go, I guess.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:05 AM

Hey Taipan,

I did, in fact, mention Yank Rachell [in the thread "Mandolin Players BC"] ... not that I said anything interesting about him ... but there's a lot there in his playing--not just phrasing, but alternate tunings and up-strokes--with Sleepy John Estes and in the later Delmark records, which I particularly like for the loud, abrasive, front 'n' centre mandolin.
Ay, I'm right here, Nickel, and I'll write. Singing the top line why it suits me mikey fine. But, yaghags hogwarts and arrahquinonthiance, it's the muddest thick that was ever heard dump since Eggsmather--JJ, Finnegans Wake
Old 09-23-2003, 04:24 PM
what is the LCS?

Who was it that described Chris as bing "in-human," or whatever it was?

http://www.wazneeni.com/

And He said to them, ''Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.'' (Mark 16:15-16)
Old 09-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to whitingrass
thile

there wouldn't be a thile if it wasn't for monroe. monroe invented bluegrass style mandolin and yes that includes the chop and blues scale based stuff. chris though has completely taken the mandolin to a whole new level for sure. difficulty level means nothing to chris. in my opinion there is not anybody close to him right now as far as technical is concerned. chris rules the mandolin! second to me title=Big
Old 09-27-2003, 11:35 AM

thile

he's got butt ugly hair though
Old 09-27-2003, 11:47 AM
I have no eye :)

who, Monroe? title=[lolol]

HeatherD, Happy Lil'Creekster title=Big
Green & Gray.net ~The Unofficial Chris Thile Fan Site
Old 09-27-2003, 12:43 PM

thile or monroe?

bothtitle=Big
Old 09-29-2003, 09:10 PM

He is good!

Hey I'm new to this forum and I have to say listening to Nickel Creek and hearing Chris Thile play mandolin convinced me to buy one when I was on vacation. I had spent 2 weeks away from my favorite beautiful string instrument, my lap harp, and had to purchase another instrument. So, I thought why not mandolin!
I have always loved folk music and that's why I fell in love with Nickel Creek. They are bluegrass with a folk sound. So I have been taking lessons for about 2 months! Really enjoying it and I am sure going to stick with it!title=Big When I watch or listen to Chris Thile I look like this title=EEK! Hope I get that way one day!title=Roll title=Stick
Old 10-03-2003, 07:44 PM

you know...I love chris. But I think he's amazing because he is perfectly clean on every little note that he plays. I mean...even if I can play most of his stuff...all of my chris thile interpretations are drastically messy. The man has never missed a note in his life. Every sound is perfectly rung.
Even at break neck speeds, he does not lose the tonality of each fret he plays.
I could not compare him to other mandolinists, because I'm hardly a mandolin player. I'm a guitarist.
Thile is my favorite musician, because I don't know of any young guitar player who are any good at guitar. So Thile is my favorite current musician.
And I'm in love with Sara....but that doesn't count
Old 10-05-2003, 10:49 PM

I'm also looking for Josh Pinkham to develop into something amazing too. I just listened to this guy's "Fisher's Hornpipe." He does a fantastic job, and he's still new to the instrument. Thile is still the best, but this little guy could give him a run for his money some day.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by guitar4jah

Thile is my favorite musician, because I don't know of any young guitar player who are any good at guitar.
Hello?????? Cody Kilby he plays for Ricky Skaggs......................
Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 PM

OK all I have to Say isss WOW! ok... Mike is amazing, he has this sureness in his playing that chris doesn't choose to have. Chris when he plays is still kinda toying with the mando, dont get me wrong, any thing mike can play chris can play back to him in a heartbeat, but like, listen to scrapple from the apple, and compare solos, I think they both have highs and lows. so I dont think it is right to compare at all.

Josh
Old 10-11-2003, 11:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to atlekvia
Is there a competition about playing best?
title=Roll
Old 10-11-2003, 12:53 PM
third member

Quote:
Originally posted by atlekvia
Is there a competition about playing best?
title=Roll
I agree. Last time I checked there is no competition. Chris is a really, really good mandolin player. He's one of the best but not the best. The kid has talent. So does Mike Marshall, Ricky Skaggs, and almost every mandolin player out there.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:32 PM

Indeed. As much as I love the cleanness of Chris's playing, I'm just as excited, say, by what sounds like Bill Monroe raking his fist over the strings during parts of his live c.d. with Doc Watson. Totally different approaches, both great, neither "better" than the other except according to my mood at that moment. There's no disputing taste ... even though it's a lot of fun to do so!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NCFreak
Who was it that described Chris as bing "in-human," or whatever it was?
I think that was someone auditioning to play mando for the Dixie Chicks, when they asked him to play Lil' Jack Slade.

E.R.

The minute you make a record because you think somebody's going to play it on the radio is the minute you ought to quit.
- Chris Thile
Old 10-11-2003, 11:26 PM
i aint heard of no LCS

one of the best qualities about chris's playing is, as my dad always points out, that he seems to have all the styles of his great predecessors like Bush, Lawson, etc. incorporated into his playing while yet having his own distinct sound. you can see a bit of all his influences in his playing and writing. and the fact that his playing is so clean is breath taking.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:05 AM

Re: Best Mandolin Player Ever

Quote:
Originally posted by BigTymer
I've tried to listen to a variety of mandolin players, and I honestly believe that Chris Thile is the best I've ever heard. Sam Bush is a great player and so is Ricky Skaggs and Ronny McCoury, but I still believe that Chris Thile takes the gold in overall greatness... :-)

Tell us something we don't know ^_^

He has been recognized as teh greatest mandolin player- one of the greatest musicians. He's teh next step
first came bill moroe then ricky skaggs then sam bush now it's thile, and next... we don't know... anything could happen...

It's a matter of raising the bar- musicians are getting better because of emuluating musicians who were the best of the time... it's a cycle... until we get to a point where human dextereity will just not allow us to progress any further.....k i'm done..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: