Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 AM

Thumbs up MerleFest Live!

I can't believe that no one here is talking about the new MerleFest Live recording that's out this year. It's got a bunch of tracks that feature Chris and Sean, and one (Bury Me Beneath The Willow) that is just Nickel Creek and Doc Watson.

This was recorded live at last year's MerleFest, and has lots of other great stuff on it - Tim O'Brien, Peter Rowan, David Holt, the Nashville Bluegrass Band, Earl Scruggs, Sam Bush, Patty Loveless, Alison Brown, and many, many more.

Chris and Doc do a beautiful version of Amazing Grace. Sean gets to do a guitar trio (Salt Creek) with Doc and Tony Rice. Chris and Sean both take solos on Sweet Georgia Brown. Sara is part of a triple fiddle team (with Alison Krauss and Stuart Duncan) on Blue Moon of Kentucky. This is a really nice package.

I bought my copy at the festival (along with the new Chris Thile / Mike Marshall CD), but you can order it on the web, too:

http://www.store.yahoo.net/merlefest/musicproducts.html

Be sure to note that the video versions contain quite a bit more music than the CD version. Check it out! (Disclaimer - I have no connection with MerleFest, I'm just a satisfied customer.)
Old 04-29-2003, 10:17 AM

i like the bury me beneath the willow but doc watson is in too much of it, i'm not really a fan of his. title=Frown
Old 04-29-2003, 12:36 PM

That's kinda weird. title=thinking
The DVD and The CD track lists are different. There are some songs on the DVD that aren't on the CD while some songs are on the CD but not the DVD.

PJ title=Cool

www.elvenwoodmandolins.com/

25/16
|3+2+2|3+2+2|2+2+3+2+2|
Pretty simple eh?

P.L.U.R. Forever!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:53 PM

I hear the midnight Jam this year was awesome (I was too worn from the booth to see it). So I hope they make a cd of that one.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sarah
i like the bury me beneath the willow but doc watson is in too much of it, i'm not really a fan of his. title=Frown
Well, you don't have to be a "fan" of Doc's to appreciate his importance to Nickel Creek and to music in general. He's one of the most important American musicians of our time. I've been a fan of his for more than thirty years, and I've seen him perform more times that I can count. He's a genuine legend (though you'd never get him to agree to that! <g>).

Quote:
Originally posted by mandofocus
That's kinda weird. The DVD and The CD track lists are different. There are some songs on the DVD that aren't on the CD while some songs are on the CD but not the DVD.
PJ title=Cool
As far as I can tell, the CD is just a subset of the DVD. The DVD is two hours long, so they couldn't have fit it all onto a CD.

Quote:
Originally posted by TenaciousDLover
I hear the midnight Jam this year was awesome (I was too worn from the booth to see it). So I hope they make a cd of that one.
The Midnight Jam is always awesome in one way or another. I didn't go to it this year, but we did listen to it on the radio as we were going to sleep in our hotel. They did do some extensive video work at the main stage this year, so I suspect that we'll get another DVD next year. It won't have Nickel Creek, but it'll have a lot of other great stuff (Sam Bush, NGDB, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, Bela Fleck, Emmylou Harris, etc.).
Old 04-29-2003, 09:03 PM

Thanks so much for posting this Jimmie!!! I never knew such a thing existed, and I love "Bury Me Beneath the Willow" although I have only heard a snippet of it.

Actually, I wrote a third part for finger snaps.
-Chris in regards to the really loud snapping lady
Old 04-30-2003, 09:56 AM

You're welcome, Linzee. Now let's just get Nickel Creek back to Ohio so we can bump into each other at a concert again.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Answerfan3
I want to know about this new CD with Mike Marshall, can anybody fill me in on any details?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Answerfan3
I want to know about this new CD with Mike Marshall, can anybody fill me in on any details?
Sure. It's a gorgeous recording of mandolin duets, including a mix of classical (Bach), jazz (Charlie Parker), and traditional works, plus compositions from both Marshall and Thile. It's called "Into The Cauldron", and is on Sugar Hill records (SUG 3967). It will be officially released and in stores on May 13th.

http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/cata...maker.cgi?3967
Old 05-01-2003, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Answerfan3
Jimmie, thanks a bunch, right after I posted that, I took a look around, and sure enough, there it was, the same album I was just asking about. That sucks, I'm usually so good about keeping up with what's going on in the music world, and something like this usually never slips under my radar. To steal a line from Kevin Smith; "I must be slipping in my old age." But thanks again, you guys are awesome and keep the posts coming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: